Make a difference in a childs life
Volunteers provide daily assistance to these orphanages in the form of fun, educational and interactive classes and activities to improve the children’s level of the English language, literacy, numeracy and early childhood development skills. With the support of Africa at Heart staff, volunteer’s time spent at the orphanage contributes to a positive start to their schooling and helps their readiness for primary school.
Volunteering at an orphanage is something both the children and volunteers look forward to, providing a much needed safe and fun environment for the kids to enjoy “just being kids”, and to forget about the hardships they may have experienced in their past.
The volunteer will be involved in various activities such as:
- Spending time with the children and contribute to their learning and development.
- Teaching of the children – simple subjects e.g. Math, Counting, English, Spelling
- Building or improving facilities at the orphanages e.g. new latrines, beds, painting the walls, erecting new structures etc.
- Training of basic life skills to the children
- Training the children on creative use of time and nurturing skills through teaching various arts and sports activities
- Offering moral support and guidance/counselling to the children
- Organizing sports and play activities
- Cleaning the premises
- Help in cooking the children’s meals
In a gentle way, you can shake the world – Mahatma Gandhi.